The Mustang Messenger

Donut of the Day: Banks Jelly Donut

Connor Scholl, Messenger Reporter

Within the last few editions, I’ve begun to run dangerously low on donut establishments to review. As the amount of articles I write increases, the pool of donut shops from which I can choose to review continues to become shallower and shallower. However, I have yet to run out completely, and for this article, I sought a new donut, one that could satiate my hunger in a delicious way. It was truly a daunting task to find such a donut, seeing as how I’ve nearly completely exhausted my supply of donut shops, but my search eventually led me to one of the most unique donuts I have tried: the Banks Jelly Donut.

I have been to Banks several times before, but it never occurred to me that Banks would have such delicious donuts. In all my previous expeditions to Banks, I had only ever bought sushi and cereal; even so, I can’t help but scold myself for not trying their donuts earlier as they provide one of the most unique donut experiences I’ve ever encountered.

While the donut as a whole was great, the first bite was rather average. It tasted similar to most jelly donuts I’ve tried and seemed to be nothing more than adequate. However, when I reached the jelly filling, I was amazed. The jelly tasted natural and fresh, yet maintained a lingering sweet flavor that lasted far after I had swallowed the bite. The dough took on a very unique taste that almost resembled cinnamon bread. When paired together, these two flavors created an exhilarating taste sensation unlike any other and left me far more satisfied than I could have possibly expected to be.

Overall, this donut was marvelous. Its unique flavor never ceased to enthrall my taste buds and is most likely the most innovative donut I have ever tried. Despite its remarkable singularity, this donut was not quite as pleasing as a Walmart jelly donut, but I would nevertheless highly recommend it.