The Mustang Messenger

The Paducky Derby

Caleb Buford, Messenger Reporter & Business Manager

1 Pond. 1 Finish Line. 10,000 yellow, rubber ducks. All for a good cause. April 21st, 2018 marked the Merryman House Domestic Crisis Center’s annual Paducky Derby, an event where 10,000 rubber ducks are dumped into the Bob Noble Park pond to race to the finish line to grant the adopter of the winning duck $1,000. The race only lasts a few minutes but the anticipation builds as the first duck crosses the finish line. The tension grows stronger for all to learn who won. While winning the race is a big deal, the cause that the duck adopters supported is even more important.
Merryman House Domestic Crisis Center, located locally in Paducah, Kentucky, is helping to save, build, and change lives of those men and women who have been affected by domestic violence. Merryman House provides services such as counseling, therapy, shelter, to those victims in the counties the of Purchase Area Development District (Ballard, Calloway, Carlisle, Fulton, Graves, Hickman, Marshall, and McCracken). The Paducky Derby is one of the biggest fundraisers all year with funds supporting all of their programs for their clients.
Congratulations to Anita Williams who won the $1,000 prize and Shane Hooper who won the $500 prize! For more information about Merryman House Domestic Crisis Center, visit their website at merrymanhouse.org